Here are 5 key reasons to make a pre-separation consultation:
- The consequences of leaving any relationship are huge, and there are many decisions that have to be made including whether to stay in the home until childcare and property matters are sorted.
- A lawyer can advise you on your rights and options, including estimated cost and time frame.
- Treat the meeting like a health check; it is information gathering. Ask for resources and tools; a lawyer may want to refer you to a counsellor, child specialist and/or another professional. Ask what might happen to your rights to your children.
- The legal process can be overwhelming; if the lawyer has done their job and is the right one for you, you will likely feel relieved and a lot more informed after the meeting.
- Come to the lawyer with a list of questions. How can you protect yourself now for the future? Do you have joint accounts? Do you know the financial details of the other party? Ask the “what if” questions.
If you are contemplating separation and/or have concerns about separating, do the homework and make an appointment today. At Robert J. Klassen Family Lawyer in Victoria, you can get in touch with us by phone or email.